Here is the grand plan. Depending on whim and situation, I may take alternate routes into South Dakota, Canada, and Oregon. Also, because I plan on wintering in the west, I will probably go off route.
View Nationwide Route Map
First Route of the Westward Bound Journey
Begin: June 2, 2002 - Completed: June 20, 2002
18 Days - Total Miles: 1,054.4
View Route Maps!
- Washington, D.C. to Harper's Ferry via the Ohio and Chesapeake Canal Towpath
- Harper's Ferry, MD to Hagerstown, MD
- Hagerstown to Mont Alto, PA
- Mont Alto to Gettysburg, PA
- Gettysburg, PA to Tuscarora Mountain along Route 30
- Tuscarora Mountain to Buckhorn Mtn. Along Route 36
- Buckhorn to Clarion and Fern, PA
- Fern, PA to Erie, PA
- Erie, PA to Ashtabula, OH
- Ashtabula to Cleveland, OH
- Cleveland to Huron, OH
- Huron to Paulding, OH
- Paulding to Lagrange, IN
- Lagrange to Yankee Springs, MI
- Yankee Springs to Grand Rapids, MI
Second Route of Westward Bound Journey
Begin: July 4, 2002 - Complete: ??
View Route Maps!
Final Route of Westward Bound Journey
and Return to the East
Begin: ?? - Complete: ??
Maps for this Section Coming Soon!
- Anacortes to Vancouver, British Columbia
- Vancouver to Astoria, OR
- Astoria to Crescent City, CA via Eugene and Florence, OR
- Crescent City to San Francisco, CA via US 101
- San Fran to Santa Barbara, CA
- Santa Barbara to San Diego, CA
- San Diego to Tempe, AZ
- Tempe to Antelope Wells, NM
- Antelope Wells to Pie Town, NM
- Pie Town to Platoro, Colorado via Grants, Cuba, and Abiquiu, NM
- Platoro, CO to Silverthorne, CO
- Silverthorne, CO to Rawlins, WY
- Rawlins, Wyoming to Pueblo, CO
- Pueblo to Alexander, Kansas via Ordway, Sheridan Lake and Dighton.
- Alexander, KS to Girard, KS via Newton (near Wichita).
- Girard, KS to Kansas City, MO
- KC to Murphysboro, IL via Springfield, Houston, and Farmington, MO
- Murphysboro, IL to Berea, KY via Elizabeth Town, IL Sonora, KY and Harrodsburg, KY
- Berea, KY to Christiansburg, VA via Hazard, KY and Wytheville, VA.
- Christiansburg, VA to Williamsburg, VA via Lexington, Charlottesville, and Richmond, VA